Who Are You Following?

Who are you following? Are you following accounts that bring you happiness? Are you following accounts that are thought-provoking? Or, are you following accounts that make you feel bad about yourself? Do you scroll through your feed and feel a sense of self-hatred or a loss of self-esteem? Have you ever considered the type of accounts you’re following?

There are brilliant programmers out there who develop algorithms for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. that show us accounts we might want to follow. They’ll show us posts or ‘people we may know’ based on our likes or our followers or our mutual friends. Have you ever considered that you might be following or ‘liking’ posts that are toxic?

This is something that I struggle with daily. I ‘like’ posts from fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders. So, what do I see on my ‘explore’ page? Fitness journeys, meal preps, work outs, weight loss pictures, body building poses. Don’t get me wrong — there’s nothing wrong with these types of posts. But for MY mental health, they are harmful. They make me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in my own skin. They make me want to start diets and spend hours at the gym. Again – there’s nothing wrong with this type of lifestyle, but for MY well-being, it isn’t good. I see these posts, I tear myself down. Who’s fault is this?

Sure, I’d love to blame society. I’d love to put my problems on other people. I’d love to blame the beautiful men and women of Instagram. But, it isn’t their fault that they’re beautiful. Or that they love to work out or that they want to share their fitness journey. I don’t want to be told what I can and cannot post, so why would I criticize another person for sharing their passions? So, how do I overcome this obstacle? There are three options.

1.  Quit using social media altogether — put come on, just because there’s a few bad posts doesn’t mean there aren’t a few good posts as well.
  2.  Quit using the ‘explore’ page — if the ‘explore’ page or any website for that matter is leaving a bad taste in your mouth, quit using it.
  3.  Or my favorite option — Consider who you’re following.

Stop following accounts that make you question whether you’re good enough. In my case, I plan to stop following or liking posts associated with fitness and spend more time following posts that support body positivity and loving yourself. Or posts with inspiring quotes. These are the types of posts that help me thrive. But hey, if fitness posts make you thrive FOLLOW THEM. Might point is to spend more time being happy and loving yourself than tearing yourself down and comparing yourself to others. If you don’t like what you’re seeing, change it. 

I encourage you to scroll through who you’re following and weigh the pros and cons. Do they make you happy? Do they make you #loveyourselfie?

p.s. if you’re feeling down or stressed out or you just want some fun → Stress Relief

One thought on “Who Are You Following?”

1. OMG This so me! Thank you for this enlightenment! I had NOTHING until I discovered your blog. Now I have a wife, 3 beautiful children and my dream job.