What is NEDA Week?
“National Eating Disorder Awareness Week – It’s important. It’s important to educate yourself and others. It’s important to build ourselves up not to tear ourselves down. It’s important to spread awareness to save lives. YOU are important. YOU are enough. YOU are not defined by a number or what you see in the mirror. This week I support National Eating Disorder Awareness for all of those fighting this life long battle, for those who have lost their fight, and for hope that awareness will save lives.” -Kelsey Howard (that’s me), Feb 2015
“…this week is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week so wear purple to show support for those who have won the fight, those who continue to fight, and in memory of those who aren’t with us today. Remind those around you that you love them and that they are good enough. Beauty isn’t defined by a number, shape, or size. So hey, if you’re reading this – you’re beautiful. Love Yourself.” -Kelsey Howard, Feb 2016
Well, it’s now 2017 and I’m still a huge proponent of self love, hence #loveyourselfie. This is an important week to support and love yourself AND those around you. The scary fact is that MILLIONS will struggle with an eating disorder at some point in their life AND eating disorders have the HIGHEST mortality rate of any mental illness (1).
So, what can you do?
- Open your ears and your hearts to those around you.
- Remember that everyone is fighting their own battle.
- Show support by wearing purple.
- Educate yourself (National Eating Disorders Association)
- Remember that being comfortable in your own skin will take you much farther in life than anyone else’s opinion of yourself.
- It’s impossible to please everyone.
- Use your resources. (E.g. 10 Steps to Positive Body Image)
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help OR to be the help for someone in need.
- Believe in yourself.