For the Haters

This one’s for the haters. Who? Those people who don’t like social media, who think it’s poison, who judge you for the hours you spend online. Those who are hesitant to jump on the bandwagon. If you’re addicted to social media, don’t be ashamed. You aren’t alone! Do we have to validate our reasoning? No. But for those who don’t understand, here you go. Here is why I and HUNDREDS of others love social media (as long as you use it in the right ways).

Community

Over the past few months I’ve began this blogging journey and I’ve met a lot of really great bloggers and mental health advocates. I’ve become part of a community that is so loving, supportive, and encouraging. If you’re looking to find a new community, I highly suggest searching different hashtags on Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc. It’s an easy way to make new friends that share the same interests as you.

Connection

My favorite part about social media is connecting with friends new and old. Using social media has allowed me to stay connected with friends from grade school as well as new friends across the globe (shout out to Mark!). I’ve connected with friends from elementary school (I’m 22, this is crazy to me!). I’ve also connected with old babysitters and daycare providers. It’s an awesome tool that allows you to stay connected to those you wouldn’t see or talk to on a regular basis.

Virality

Ever lost a pet?  Wanted to sell a product? Fundraise? Spread awareness? Share a funny video of cats? Social media is a great tool for a all of the above. With the number of social media users, things can spread in a matter of minutes. This can be dangerous but at the same time can be very useful. If you want to get the word about something, it’s so easy to post, share, and have others share. I love that Facebook and Twitter allow you to “Share” and “Retweet”. Not only does it allow me to enjoy posts over and over, but it allows me to share posts with my friends and family that might not have seen it in the first place.  This also allows me to see new videos, memes, news that I’ve missed out on that my friends share. Thinking about all of the Office articles and memes I would’ve missed without social media makes me cringe.

The irony of this post is that to see it, you’re probably already using social media. You probably agree with the above statements. Share it with those who don’t use social media. Open their eyes to the opportunities. Don’t let them knock it till they try it. And if they try it, and they hate it, so be it. It’s not for everyone.