Advice from Others – Positive Ways to Use Social Media

Last week I wrote about positive ways to use social media. I reached out to some of my fellow mental health bloggers to see how they use social media in a positive way. Here’s what they had to say about it:

Spreading Awareness

“I try to use social media in a positive way by spreading awareness about the issues surrounding mental illness and suicide and sending out messages that will help give others hope and help them to not feel like they’re alone in this world.” – @Spreading_L0ve

“I use social media to spread awareness of Bipolar. It is still a very stigmatized condition and my aim is to help people have a better understanding of it. I share my own experiences in the hope that someone will take comfort that they are not alone, or change perceptions a person may have had. I run a blog entitled Stumbling Mind that focuses on Bipolar and related conditions.”@NekoBear_ 
https://stumblingmind.com/

Support & Unity

“Hi?? I’m Laura. I’m 21 years old, I’m a student mental health nurse and I also suffer from depression and anxiety. Social media has had a huge positive impact on my life, believe it or not. Late last year I started blogging about my mental health, using my Twitter and Instagram to ‘get it out there’, in a way. By using Twitter to promote my blog, I accidentally came across an amazing online community of other people who suffer from various mental health illnesses. It’s a really good outlet, it enables me to talk openly about my mental health, to help spread awareness, but also, it’s always a positive for any mental health sufferer to be able to get something off of their chest, especially to people who understand!” -Laura https://lauralikeschange.wordpress.com/

‘My name is Gemma, I’m 22 and I’m a sufferer of mental illness. I use social media to find likeminded individuals searching for the same relief from mental illness. If I hadn’t chosen to use SM I wouldn’t have many of the friends I do today, I wouldn’t have had the courage to speak about my mental illnesses and in turn I wouldn’t feel empowered and proud of myself. I find my SM to be a very powerful tool, which unites people and strengthens hope.’ –@GemCals

Hopefully you can use their ideas and the ideas from my last post to brighten your social media environment. Please give some love to these lovely individuals by checking out their blogs and their stories. Just another way of creating a safe environment, by supporting one another.