As a redshirt junior, Paden Moore, will be competing at 157 for the Panther Train. Paden attended Jackson County Central High School where he became a four-time Minnesota state placer and one-time Minnesota state champion. The Moore family has a history with UNI wrestling as Paden’s brothers have gone through the program. Keegan is currently a redshirt sophomore on the UNI team. Cooper had wrestled his whole college career until he graduated in 2016. Paden also has four sisters Cami, Hailey, Katie and Kelsey. Coming from Minnesota, Paden brings a very interesting Panther Perspective on life as a student and wrestler as well as his faith.

Before UNI

Q: How did you get into the sport of wrestling?

A: A family friend told my dad to get Cooper into wrestling. Once Cooper started wrestling I wanted to do exactly what my big brother was doing. And when I first stepped on the mat I was 5 years old.

Q: What was wrestling like at Jackson County Central High School?

A: I would say the team was similar to how our team is at UNI. My high school time was very close knit and very competitive. I was also really close with the coaches and was able to learn a lot under their guidance.

Q: Besides wrestling, what else did you do in high school?

A: I was a part of the football team at Jackson. I also was a member of the National Honors Society and was consistently on the list of honor roll students.

Q: Why did you come to UNI?

A: I came here, because I felt the Lord was calling to me to be here. It felt as if everything just seemed to fit. I was comfortable with the team. Also I could tell I would really want to learn and grow from the knowledge and wisdom of our coaches.

Time at UNI

Q: What is your major?

A: My major is in construction management. I also have a minor in real estate.

Q: How have you been able to strengthen your faith at UNI?

A: I really pursued opportunities to grow my faith as a Christian. I learned more about theology as well as what I believed in life. You could say I found out who Jesus was for me. Through the process I have been able to see the power the Lord has and better understand who he is. I could not have learned all this if I did not have the support from others who were looking to grow in their faith as well.

Q: What is one thing that you really like about UNI?

A: I love the community of UNI and Cedar Falls. The people are very friendly. You can see they are by the way they talk. You can see the kindness in their eyes.

Q: Who have you learned from most in you wrestling career at UNI?

A: Brett Robbins. As a coach, he was able to teach me about not only wrestling, but what it takes to be a family man or good man all around. By being around him I have been able to see how one should carry themselves and be to be confident. B-Rob has a great attitude in everything he does. Coach Robbins also helps a ton with my technique. We do have a similar style but also we have our differences. By knowing this, he allows me to personalize my style as a wrestler.

Q: What are your responsibilities as a student-athlete at UNI?

A: In this position as collegiate athletes, we are held to a higher standard. We are not only representing ourselves but the university as well. I feel it is our responsibility to be a well-rounded person. As student-athletes we are given the task to get good grades and compete at a high level so we must focus our priorities on these two things. I feel this all is important, because people in the community look up to us as leaders.

Q: What has been your favorite course at UNI?

A: I enjoyed construction resources. The most exciting project we had was to build a tiny, 12-foot-by-12-foot house that was later donated to the homeless. I was in that with my brother, Cooper, and teammate Taylor Lujan, which made the class a lot of fun. The course was really hands on, and that is how I like to learn.

Career and Life Goals

Q: What do you want to do after graduating from UNI?

A: One goal is to own a construction business, but to also have other side businesses to earn passive income like maybe restaurant or coffee shop. Another idea would be to buy land, then putting up buildings and using my knowledge as a real estate minor, sell them myself.

Q: Do you have goals to have a family?

A: I would love to have a family some day. I really want a big family. Something is telling me that I should start my family in the mountains out West.

Q: How will you stay around wrestling?

A: I will make sure that wrestling will always be a part of my life. I can see myself coaching somewhere. Hopefully when I have kids, they will be into wrestling too.

Extra Questions

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A: I really like to hunt, but I also read and sometimes play video games. I do have an interesting hobby of making kombucha. Kombucha is a fermented tea that has a bunch of health benefits. I don’t mean to brag, but I make a mean brew of kombucha.

Q: What tip would you give for cutting weight?

A: Start early and drink a lot of water. The later you start trying to lose weight, the more you are cramming to get it off before competition. Also you need to drink water, because it is what keeps the body running to be able to perform.

Q: What’s your favorite movie?

A: Thor: Ragnarok. The movie has a great message, but also Thor is my favorite superhero. The movie also has humor and a ton of action.

Thank you for reading this Panther Perspective from Paden Moore. You should read another like this one from Derek Holschlag!

Also you may take a gander at Paden’s UNI roster profile here.

Lastly follow Paden Moore on Instagram & Twitter.