In this post, I will share the top 5 most popular Vietnamese dishes which you can easily find if you visit my country. I will also include a recipe for each dish, so you can try to make it at home.

1. Pho (Vietnamese rice noodle soup)

• Pho is one of the most traditional dishes. According to npr.org, Pho is central to Vietnamese identity. When we talk about Vietnamese food, we talk about dishes made from rice because Vietnamese people use rice as a the main dish in their daily meal. Pho is a type of hot Vietnamese rice noodle soup. Traditional Pho is served with beef or chicken. Since the soup is really fresh and light, Vietnamese people normally enjoy Pho as a breakfast food.
    • Recipe: Here
    • pho
  2. Banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich)

• Banh mi definitely make it to the list of most popular Vietnamese dishes. It’s also super popular outside of Vietnam. If you live in one of the major cities in the US, I have no doubt that you can find Banh mi around your neighbor hood.  The best thing about Banh mi is its convenience, fresh, and tastefulness. You can think of Banh mi as Subway sandwich, but better.
    • Recipe: Here
    • banh-mi
  3. Bun cha (Vietnamese Grilled pork with Vermicelli)

• Bun cha is incredibly popular in Vietnam and exceptionally delicious. Bun cha is also made from rice. Though, different from Pho, instead of using fresh sliced beef or chicken as the protein source and bone marrow as the broth, Buncha is served with Grilled pork and use sweet and sour Vietnamese fish sauce as its sauce. To learn more about Bun cha, check out my last blog post!
    • Recipe: Here
    • bun-cha-1
  4. Banh Cuon (Vietnamese steamed rice cake)

• As stated above, rice is one of Vietnamese signature ingredients and is the soul of many great Vietnamese dishes. Banh Cuon is not different. If you don’t know, “banh” means cake, and Banh Cuon is the most popular member of Vietnamese steamed rice cake family. Banh Cuon is a dish of minced mushrooms and pork wrapped within hot steamy ossamer-thin sheets. One thing that is very interesting about Banh Cuon is how it’s made. Click here to see.
    • Recipe: Here
    • banhcuon
  5. Spring Roll

• Spring Roll is definitely one of easiest dishes to make at home, yet incredibly tasteful. Spring rolls are great for appetizer especially in the summer due to its coolness and freshness. Vietnamese Spring Rolls are basically rice paper rolls packed with shellfish (Normally shrimp, but you can also alternate it with different kinds of meet) , light vermicelli noodles, carrots, cucumber and herbs, with a sweet ginger chill dipping sauce.
    • Recipe: Here
    • what-to-eat-in-vietnam
Top 5 Most Popular Vietnamese Dishes

Post navigation

5 thoughts on “Top 5 Most Popular Vietnamese Dishes

1. I am definitely going to go looking for the banh mi sandwich. it looks like it tastes awesome. I also happen to love sandwiches. However, if I can’t find it, it looks like there are other great options. Why have I not eaten Vietnamese food before?

1. Thank you for stopping by! You should definitely try Vietnamese food! Vietnamese Sandwiches are also very easy to make at home! Check out my new blog post about foreigners’ reactions to durian, the smelliest fruit in the world!

2. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appearance. I must say that you’ve done a great job with this. In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!